Sunday, October 17, 2010

Glucose screening




This is a post from when I did my glucose screening when I was pregnant...thought I would share.  I will post a new info sheet soon as I finish adding a few things

First thing, make sure your lab slip was put in as a random draw or that the lab allows you to drink the glucola before you arrive. If not they will turn you away, found this out the hard way. For this test you only have to be fasting 3hours before you eat the jelly beans...I played it safe and did 4hrs just in case. This allows you to eat breakfast and then fast so you don't feel miserable, like with the other methods. The jelly beans you have to buy are the big ones. The study recommends Brach's Jelly Beans, the 50gm dose is already calculated for you at 18 jelly beans. If you choose a smaller variety you have to eat 28-32, depending on the amount of carbs in the bean.

So you time it from the start of eating not the finish, and you should eat them pretty quickly 2-4mins, so that the test is accurate. The blood draw needs to be an hour after your start time, so arrive about 10-15min. early to the lab. Bring a protein snack for after, and some water, to help with the sugar rush. I was happy to find an alternative for myself, and our clients at the birth center.

No comments:

Post a Comment