Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Going really green...please keep an open mind on this one




















(disclaimer: there is personal feminine talk in this one, so men may not want to read :] )

Yup! your looking at what you think it is :)
Cloth pads...and where on earth did she get this latest crazy idea? that is what you are asking, lol. I had a patient about a year and a half ago come into the office that used them. I did a little research and found a friend at my old job in NOVA that made them for her postpartum recovery. I got busy and forgot about it and then remembered half way into my pregnancy, when trying to plan for the birth. So, I started to research and found patterns and many shops on etsy that sold them. I found one place (Randumosity) that sold them for less than I could make them...considering my sewing skills are minimal and my busy call schedule at the time.
They are really soft and comfortable...in the picture you can see a postpartum pad (she also makes over night pads not shown), a regular and a liner. They fold up and snap together to store, as shown above. They were great to use right after having a baby for comfort. I have never worn pads for that length of time...so in the end I did have irritation from them, but related to the length of time and the way I was sitting with them on to breast feed.
So your question now is, how do you clean them? since we are doing cloth diapers I figured no big deal just through them it. The friend I have that made them used borax in a container stored out of the way in the bathroom (I put it under the sink). You put it in the bucket/tupperwear whatever container, to prevent stains buildup, and then I put them in with the cloth diapers. The instructions that came with the pad said you could rinse, then wash them with your cloths..sounds crazy, but you really could. The fabric works a lot like the cloth diapers where the soft fleece layer keeps you dry (repels) and the cotton inside absorbs the liquid (wicks it away from you once repelled by the top layer). There is a layer of PUL, also in diapers, that prevents the leaking. I was really surprised how well they worked. You don't see anything on the pad because it is absorbed in (except for the occasional mucusy things we know about as women, sorry if that is TMI).
The other picture is of nursing pads. They are made the same way and are really soft next to your skin. I have been using them like crazy...and cost effective, have you seen the price of nursing pad these days! also very easy to clean, just throw them in the wash, I put them in a laundry bag.
In the picture above the pink side would go towards you and the pattern side is for fun :)
So here is to being greener then I though I could go, lol...

**Update  Still like them.  After ordering more and having problems with the quality I would recomend a different company.  There are more places out there now that cloth pads are going "mainstream."  I will write a new post soon with details.

No comments:

Post a Comment