Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"dumpster diving" its a fun sport...

My grandma use to talk about dumpster diving and all the fun things she would find...
In fact a mixer my mom had for years (and it was old when she got it, was always the story I heard) was found in a dumpster along with many other household items.  The best part about the stories growing up, was picturing my grandma "diving" in and coming out excited with her "new" treasures.




This is the bassinet/cradle Matthew and I found by the dumpster. People often put out furniture that needs repair or they no longer want, around the apartments and condos...so I thought hey, its free and we could make a project of it.  I also couldn't help to think about my mom and grandma "diving" into dumpsters : )  The picture above was taken after some fresh paint and a little patching. 



...some wood, foam and bedding later and the finished product!  It was a really fun project for Matthew and I to do before the baby came.  A great way to nest without spending too much money, and instead spending time together <3
My mom made the bumper and quilted the matching blanket...She did such a great job! We may have to sell these in our little shop one day.
Very cost effective, and it was great to be able to recycle something that would have ended up in a landfill.  Also fun that we get to use something my mom made, just for our baby girl, everyday.
ps ignore the mess in the background, lol...laundry day :)

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Your grandmother sounds very similar to Matthew's grandmother (my mother)... someone who gets excited about finding a bargain. Not sure if you ever knew this, but we grew up hearing this expression all the time: "Eat it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Frances :)love the saying.

    ReplyDelete