Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Story of Stuff Project and how it has started the wheels in my head

The Story of Stuff

The website above, The Story of Stuff project, goes into something I have felt/said for a long time...there is way too much stuff out there to buy! and where does it all go?  Now there is a site with research and real numbers to help illustrate how bad the problem really is.

I remember all the shopping when I moved out on my own, buying towels, sheets, etc. Then a few months later the big named stores taking everything off their selves and restocking for the next season. It blew my mind that there was so much on the selves and that people kept buying...and where does the leftover stuff go?
I remember feeling burdened by the whole concept of materialism and having a comforter for every holiday and season....don't get me wrong, I like to decorate, I like to feel like my space reflects our taste, and yes we have two comforters (one for summer, one for winter). But, I think self expression and accessorizing for the climate is way different then the problem our country is facing.

Point and case, our current economy. I have been saying for years, we are buying/selling too much! People are too focused on keeping up with the Jones' that they have lost tack of what is really important and even more so they have lost a senses of self.  Getting wrapped up in stuff can only lead to unhappiness...look at our country today.  So many have spread themselves too thin trying to buy the bigger house and faster car.  People blame the banks, but think about it...couple A gets a promotion, they buy a bigger house, but wait, still only saving the same amount because the bigger house off sets the promotion.  Then you need "stuff" to fill the house because god forbid anyone sees an empty room.  First paycheck, wow look at the money...humm we need a car.  A year later and the credit cards are maxed and no one gets why they can't afford their house.
I was not raised that way...Couple B gets a promotion...They save their money to put a larger down payment on a house (20% or more) thus lowering their monthly payments.  They have no credit card debt and believe you only charge what you can pay off every month.  They don't care their cars are a few years older, they take care of what they own and have no extra monthly bills.  There is no cable bill.  They get out and take advantage of the area we live in (parks, museums, free things!).  When their mortgage statement comes, they pay it with ease, have money for groceries, travel and to put into savings.  Obviously I am being extreme, but you get my point...

Why do we find the need to live in such a disposable world?  After watching this video I was sad to see this vicious cycle and how I contribute on a daily basis.  The whole "going green" movement makes me laugh...why? because it shouldn't be a movement! It should be how we live everyday.  I grew up always interested in what is now a "movement"  so in someways it is nice.  I can now find products that were hard to get before and people know what I am talking about...but the downside, it is also being commercialized and turned into stuff.

How do we get ride of it all? how do we break the cycle?  One way is to buy local, homemade, and buy less (or less often).  There are local farmer's markets, online vendors to support homemade items and buy items that are reusable instead of disposable.  Also, don't be sucked into needing the latest and greatest shinning object...they are taking your money and the old item is polluting the system in so many ways.
I am starting to make handmade/crafty things myself.  One thing I have decided, find a shipping material that is recyclable.  At home we save all the boxes or recycle them, but think about all that bubble wrap and plastic that gets thrown out.  Another way, don't live outside your means, why? usually this means you are buying and spending too much, which in turn contributes to the cycle and unhappiness or loss of self.  Don't let your stuff define you! You define you and where you are going in life.

Before I didn't think there was much I could do to help the problem...but now I am starting to brainstorm again.  I have that problem where I think I can save the world, but then my realistic side kicks in and I know I can't...but hey maybe starting on a small level will pay off.  One things for sure, that save the world thing is never going to leave my personality, so I should give in and feel accomplished and not defeated by the little things I can improve/change.
What I really wish, is that there was away to bring down the cost of eating healthy, organic and more access to the local vendors...maybe that's my next project.


Have you done anything to help impact your community?  Share with us, and if not I challenge you to come up with an idea.  It doesn't have to be a big one, and you can do it as a group.  For example, there is a mom group I do a cloth diaper swap with.  Being green and teaching moms that want to try it out, how it all works.  So it can be something small like that (and you get to enjoying meet people, and being a community) or it could be something big.  I would love to hear your ideas!

I think its a balance...We can't work and save our money forever, that just burns people out; but we can't spend it all either.  When you buy something do the research spend a little more and get a better quality item (not the must have, but a reliable name) so that you don't end up throwing it away and buying another one.  Buy consigned, second hand and eBay is awesome!  I am always up for finding a good deal so if you need a little help just ask ; )

thanks for reading my rant, just something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment