Monday, January 11, 2016

Making exercise a priority...

Crossing off the list one goal at a time



Almost two years ago I stumbled on a wonderful yoga site after searching for a home practice that would fit my style.  I hate voice overs... most of the yogis are way to serious and into showing what they can do and that defeats the point of yoga for me.  I love doing yoga on the beach, it combines all the things I love, but the thought people may think I am doing it for show makes me shy away from it (hey work in progress right?)
Yoga with Adriene makes me laugh, work, smile, show up, find what feels good, commit, practice XYZ (*balance, discipline, stillness etc), it just clicked with me from day one.  She wants all people to find the pleasure of practicing yoga no matter the stuff they bring with them or skill level...yoga really is for everyone, check her out and you will see what I mean.

What else am I doing to make exercise a priority?  Show up, start early, change it up, keep moving and doing it with a partner/friend.  While yoga has been a solo path for me for a few years, my husband and I started strength training together.  I really believe when you do things that the other partner enjoys or is passionate about it helps deepen a relationship.  So he found this site and app called StrongLifts.  It is a great way to track a work out, start small, track your progress and learn about strength training.

This is one goal I will be adjusting and improving with time.  Last year I did Adriene's 30 day yoga challenge to start the year and really recommit to practice.  It was amazing how my body and stress level responded and I could tell when I went one too many days without it.  This year she is offering Yoga Camp, a 30 day practice with mantras and a focus on foundations of yoga.  She also offers a lot of free videos and paid programs (this is not sponsored I just love the channel).  I need to keep moving my body this winter, getting outside and exploring new ways to keep my body healthy through movement.  I have a good start, but also have weaknesses just like anyone else...

Cause sometimes you still need the giant cookie and bottle of wine...



What do you do to calm your mind and strengthen your body?

No comments:

Post a Comment